Thursday, April 22, 2010

Defective McAfee update causes meltdown of XP PCs

Ed Bott has a blog here about the story:  Defective McAfee update causes worldwide meltdown of XP PCs

Seriously, I have to say McAfee’s response to this issue has been poor.  Here is what their homepage looks like:

image

I highlighted the area which has to do with this issue.  That's all they have on their website.  If you drill down into the children sites such as Large Enterprise, Small business, etc they have nothing on the main page of those sites.  Considering the large impact this issue has had on their customers I would expect more notice on their website.

A few years ago we were using Lotus Notes and McAfee as our antivirus solution.  McAfee releases VirusScan 8.0 and we tested it on about 20 computers.  The new released hosed Lotus Notes and McAfee had no easily identifiable information regarding this bug.  When I called support I finally found a level 3 tech who new about this issue and I had to uninstall McAffee and reinstall the 7.x version.

My issue was I read the Readme.txt file.  I searched online for know issues.  Even though this Lotus Notes bug was a know issues they did not really admit to it.  McAfee…that’s why you have  Readme file or a know-issues section.  They tried to burry the issue so I notified ZDnet and Theregister.co.com and they published articles about the issue.  Many people\corporations use Lotus Notes  and McAfee’s decision to not publicly post this serious bug was a mistake.  It looks like they continue these poor PR decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment